As every cat parent are going to resonate with me that cats are very nosey, sniffing and mischievous pet in whole pet community!
Sometimes it gets into breaking something very precious or will destroy your food or ruin your garden while fighting with other predators or insects.
In response to that, Insects will obviously retaliate and will sting them back and often make eyes, nose, paws, or feet as target.
Most common of them is getting stung by bees.
Yes! It is true!
Bees are loners, and this tiny creature can also prove to be fatal for your cat.
But if it happened, there is nothing to worry about. Here comes the medical science to rescue your cat! All you have to do is to follow this piece of information.
What to do when cats stung by bees?
It is true that stings of bees are troublesome for your kitties. But there is nothing to worry about. You can reduce the pain and reaction by taking immediate actions and giving first aid to them. Just follow the following process:
- Figure out if your cat has been bitten or stung. How?
Here is quick tip, If it chews its foot, or itches its paws or face, it has been stung for sure.
- Now, after getting sure that it is bee, find its stinger. Stinger continue to release its venom even after bees left. So, release the stinger to stop the further spread of poison.
- Make a thick paste of baking soda and water and apply it to stinged area. This will soothe the bite site.
- This is the most asked question of cat parent whose cats are victim of bee sting- “How to reduce swelling in a cat’s paw?”.
After you have applied the paste of baking soda and water, apply the ice pack on the swollen area of paw. A bag of frozen peas or a towel dipped in cold water will also work.
- Give a small dose of oral anti-histamile to reduce itching and reaction. Consult your vet once too.
- Pets often gets panic. Give them some water, feed them some moist food. And maintain their hydration and amount of food intake.
These were some steps to take care of your little kitty. And if sting is seeming fatal, immediately go to your vet.
Furthermore, Benadryl can come to Rescue too!
We know, what you are thinking!
Read More: Distemper in Cats Explained
Can we give Benadryl for bee sting?
Your cat has been stung by bee and only antibiotic you have at your home is Benadryl. And you are confused about whether to give to your little baby Benadryl or not? Here is the answer:
You can give your cats Benadryl as it gives soothing effect. Benadryl is actually safe for cats and it is used in case of acute allergic reactions due to bee stung or something else
Here are the details!
- General allergic issues caused while playing with pollen, dust or other rubber or plastic materials. It can cause itchiness, vomiting and sneezing to them.
- Acute allergic reactions which is caused in response to injections, bee sting or spider bite. You can give your cat Benadryl to prevent motion sickness. But give it to them after consulting your vet.
Rae your brain wires crossed thinking and Considering the aforementioned situation, Can cats take Benadryl?
Yes. Your cats can absolutely take Benadryl in such cases. But it is important to take care of the dosage too.
How much Benadryl is not too much Benadryl?
Recommended dosage is 1-2 milligrams per pound every eight hours.
Seeing your cat’s face swollen!
If your cat has been stung by bees, they are surely going to have swollen face paws at the place where bees have actually stung. Cats will feel mild pain and irritation at the place of stung. But there is nothing for too much worry about.
Just put the ice pack on affected area and swelling will reduce by time.
But, if you feel that the stung is fatal, and your cat is showing following symptoms:
- Difficulty breathing.
- Excessive swelling.
- Pale gums.
Then, consult your vet as soon as possible and arrange for emergency treatment of your cat.
What to do when bee sting while pregnant cat?
Is your cat pregnant and is stung by bee and you are not able to figure out what to do in this delicate situation?
Just like a pregnant lady, a pregnant cat also requires proper care. Any foreign body infection such as bee stung can endanger their life. But you should not take chance and immediately visit the nearest vet. Usually swelling, drooling, slow heat beat, fast or slow breathing, chilling body temperature the symptoms.
Final Words With Quick Tip!
When your kitty gets stung, they often get traumatized. So, shower them with proper care and love so that its pain does not give them mental trauma.